Townie on a NZ smallholding

Townie on a NZ smallholding

Saturday 24 February 2024

February 2024

Peter went back to Onamalutu a few days ago, so I'm getting on with Hedland life on my lonesome for the first time right now.  I was working in Karratha last week after dropping him off at the airport, and was on standby to go to Onslow for the weekend.  Cyclone Lincoln was threatening to make landfall just west of Karratha, but ended up tracking further south west around Carnarvon.  There are no midwives in the small health facility in Onslow, and there was concern that the changing air pressures could pop some waters and push a few pregnant women into labour.  I'm a bit disappointed that I wasn't needed after all, but at least I get to spend a quiet weekend at home in Port Hedland. 
February has been hot and humid, sometimes extremely hot and humid.  After 4+ months here we've finally received our first power bill and it turns out we're not using much at all.  Probably we could indulge in a little more aircon than our current minimal use.  Peter still spends a proportion of his life in a cool-ish bath and there is always a fan going day and night.  Ironically at work it sometimes even gets a bit chilly in the hospital aircon.  Our early evening walks are always immediately followed by a watery cool down and a bowl of ice cream.  It doesn't get below around 28 degrees at night, so no reprieve then either.   
     
If  you're early enough, the morning sea can be quite refreshing, although you still couldn't call it 'cool'.  We constructed a small floating table out of swimming noodles, a piece of board and some duct tape and it works well for breakfast in the sea at Pretty Pool.  There are heaps of fish and usually other people there (always reassuring that the crocodiles may favour a succulent child rather than a wrinkled oldie!), and usually a few dogs too.  We could be forgiven for wondering if we've missed the memo for 'Bring a Black Dog to the Beach Day’. Once a horse float trailer pulled up and a gorgeous foal (black, obviously) was led out into the tidal creek.  It obviously loved getting out in the sea; a precious moment when I had to pinch myself that this is my life.  We've ordered a full face snorkel for Peter, who struggles to breathe with a standard snorkel.  When that comes we'll be able to do some snorkelling together.  Hope we won't be too shocked by what’s actually in there to venture out again.

There have been some very high tides here this month and also some days when the tides don't seem to change much.  One very high tide even extended down Crocodile Alley. So finally we've learned a bit about what neap and spring tides mean and how they're connected to the moon.  For Peter, tide watching is all about the fishing of course.  He's had some successes, including this sharp-toothed Long Tom fish that was edible, but a lot of work to fillet and not the best tasting. 
 
  I'm continuing with online piano lessons and daily practice.  Most days also involve swimming or home yoga, though it's almost too hot for these.  The swimming pool temperature hovers around 30 degrees at 6:30am, and it's warmer at the weekend when it opens later.  The town pool in South Hedland doesn't get the sea breeze and is warmer still.  Sometimes it's the only option because there aren't enough staff for the Port Hedland pool to open every day.  We're on the look out for indoor activities to keep us out of trouble.  The tie-dye kit was for ages 6 and over, and that's a fair representation of our standard.  Probably we don't have a future in tie-dying T-shirts, but it was fun and worth a try.  I have my eye on a portable loom as weaving is something I've always fancied.  I'm too left-handed to be a knitter and too devoid of perfectionism to sew, but maybe weaving will suit me.  
 We have been a little bit social this month too.  We went to see Kim Churchill who performed in the Provedore Cafe in the next apartment block.  There were 2 support bands, one dodgy and the other excellent.  All up, a very enjoyable evening.  And we went to see comedian Amy Hetherington in the Esplanade Hotel.  She was hilarious, and I still giggle when I think of the joke she cracked about seeing a bloke in the sea at the Pretty Pool Clothing Optional Beach - having his very own Sausage Sizzle.  Guess you can relate Peter??
The Gold Midwifery Conference has been and gone and thankfully my presentation 'Sort Your Meconium Out' went well.  The technology was potentially problematic because the WA Country Health Service firewall was impenetrable for the software that the conference organisers used.  In the end I just hot-spotted my work computer from my phone and it was fine.  It's a good feeling to have that behind me, and really great to be paid for it.  

So, another month ticks by, and we're no closer to making a decision about how long we'll be here.  Luckily no hurry, and how good to be in the luxury position of having happy choices.  If Billy wants to head to pastures new next year, then either Peter or both of us needs to be in NZ.  Otherwise we can just go with wherever the grass is greenest in the moment.  Um, maybe not the most appropriate analogy - there isn't any grass here at all!  Working life is getting busier and though I'm working harder than I'd hoped, it's more satisfying to feel like I'm achieving something.  Like many other health authorities, WACHS is in severe debt, and what that'll mean for my position has yet to be apparent.    
So life rolls on gently and though I still miss home and my ‘tribe’, I'm counting my blessings and smelling those metaphorical roses.  








 

No comments:

Post a Comment